High school speech and debate is one of the most exciting and challenging activities for students. Here are a few resources / testimonials that might help you make the decision to participate.

essays and research

Forensics and College Admissions. Minh Luong is one of the most highly respected names in high school debate. He is an Assistant Professor of Ethics at Yale.

An Investigation into the Relationship Between Participation in Competitive Forensics and Standardized Test Scores
Tammie Peters' research affirms the connection between forensics participation and quantifiable gains in writing and literacy. 

Forensics: Enhancing Civic Literacy and Democracy Briscoe, Shawn F. (May 2009). 
This article from Principal Leadership provides a synopsis of forensics and its relationship to the broader curriculum.

A Better Investment Not Found on Wall Street Carr, J.E. (2002). (Jonathan is a D.C. lawyer and former Fulbright Scholar at The London School of Economics)
This research documents the connection between forensics participation and quantifiable gains in writing and literacy.

Assigned Advocacy, Argumentation, and Debate in High School Classrooms Wade, J.M. & Zorwick, L. W. (2009). 
This research demonstrates argumentation and debate in classroom leads to gains in engagement and participation, skill development, content knowledge, and academic performance.

In Defense of Competitive Speech Crawford, Rob. (2003). 
This article explains how speech and debate education fulfills three primary components of gifted and talented education (GATE): acceleration, enrichment, and mentorship.

In the News

How To Find The Millennials Who Will Lead Your Company Robert Sher (2-Mar-2014). Forbes

High School Students Stand And Deliver James Sullivan (3-Jan-2014). Boston Globe

The 10 Skills Employers Most Want in 2015 Graduates Susan Adams (12-Nov-2014). Forbes


Michael Urie (Professional Actor) Michael was a National Champion in Speech in the category of Dramatic Interpretation. You can see Michael on the show “Ugly Betty.”

“Those 4 years in debate were the educational foundation of everything I did. And I don’t mean that in some simple form…I’m saying the finest education I got from any of the institutions I attended, the foundation of my mind that I got during those 4 years of competitive policy debate; that is, 90% of the intellectual capacity that I operate with today–Fordham [University] for college, Fordham for the Ph.D., Harvard for law school–all of that is the other 10%.” — John Sexton, President of NYU (2001-2016)